Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Oh My God Road


Business took me to Dumont/Downieville-Lawson yesterday. These hamlets sit astride Interstate 70 between Idaho Springs and Georgetown.


For many years Downieville has been my coffee/piss/top of gas stop before heading over the Divide and the 10,000-11,000’ passes.

There are three “medical” marijuana stores there to service a population of 150 or so.


 Of course, the many travelers patronizing  them will wait until they reach their destinations before getting baked, won’t they? Interesting that no stand alone liquor stores are located there.

With time on my hands decided to take a day road trip back to Greeley starting with a leg from Idaho Springs to Central City via the Virginia Canyon Road, aka, the Oh My God Road.





 Maintenance is somewhat lax.


Found this well done video on YouTube for those who wish to experience the drive.


My late father had a favorite story about that road. Once coming downhill in his flat bed pickup, he saw a car coming up the hill taking their half out of the middle, as he described it. Pulling all the way over so his right side tires were against the bank, he was surprised when the woman driving stopped beside him and snarled from her open window, “Why don’t you pull over, you son of a bitch?”




Central City/Black Hawk is interesting. Steep, 8890’ at the top, 8010’ at the bottom and about 1 ½ miles long.



 Old story from years ago. A resident explained, “You need a jeep to get around in the winter, and a jeep to find a parking place in the summer”.






Seems some SJW influence seeped in during the Obama years. True facts, to be sure, but there were far more “soiled doves”.

From Blackhawk I went North on what is known as the Peak to Peak Highway. A spectacular drive, especially in the fall when the leaves turn.


I rarely envy anyone but do envy the owners of this house. Imagine standing there every morning sipping coffee and taking in that view.

The town of Rollinsville is part of my childhood. My parents loved to dance and the Stage Stop, dating back to the late 1800’s, was where the locals gathered. Three locals provided music with a fiddle, guitar, and accordion.

Twas a fine mental health day I didn’t realize I needed.

13 comments:

LL said...

That looks like a fun road trip.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Chills and thrills for the tourists. For the locals? Meh.

LL said...

I didn't see chills and thrills, but I like taking a day trip here and there. And it's pretty country. Shame about the 'drug stores' but I guess that it's simply the face of people's behavior.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Chills and thrills - younger days. Big block V-8 rwd Ford, night, and power sliding around the corners.

Legal dope is Yuge in CO.

Coffeypot said...

You were raised in some pretty country, but it is sad what change can do to our memories. You can go back home but it will not be the same.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Beautiful place in the summer. Glad it wasn't home for long. We spent a winter in a wood frame shell with four layers of tar paper for outer walls, a coal heating stove, a wood cooking stove, and a dirt floor. Hard times in rural Colorado post WWII. There was a small impoundment on Coal Creek where ice blocks were cut in the winter and stored in a warehouse to be shipped to Denver. My dad ended up running the operation until he caught on with the railroad.

Rollinsville was the site of my first knife fight. I was five, the Mexican opponent seven. Still have a scar on my left palm. Should clarify he had a knife and his brothers and sisters. I had an ax handle. I won, just for the record.

drjim said...

Interesting how the bottom of the "<" sign is all sand-blasted from the gravel the traffic throes up.

Beautiful area, but I wouldn't want to drive there in the winter.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Winter would be interesting. I've never done it.

Your Supra would be fun on the Peak to Peak.

Old NFO said...

Beautiful country, and hard country at the same time...

drjim said...

I'm planning on taking it up Rist Canyon as soon as I finish the current items on the punch list.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Rist will be a good workout.

LSP said...

What a neat drive! Now I want to do a road trip.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Lots to see and do in Colorado. Remember the altitude! Altitude sickness is no joke. Maybe look up suggestions before you go. Closer to you is Baca County (Springfield) with a mesa/mountain range running East/West to Trinidad, CO. A challenging paved road runs from Boise City, OK to Raton, NM.

On the other side (North) is the Purgatory and Arkansas rivers. There is a obscure place, Picture Canyon, that has petroglyphs. Some of them appear to be Norse runes.

My son, while on active duty, was able to see another site within the Piñon Training area. Public access is problematic.

Bent's Fort is in the area and is worth a visit. Lots of history. The Santa Fe Trail went along the Purgatory to Trinidad then over Raton Pass.

The area was rife with union troubles including the Ludlow Massacre.

Trinidad is about 6,000' ASL. Springfield around 3,000'.