Sunday, December 31, 2017

Older is Wiser?


Middle son is moving next week. My help consists of stroking a check to some local movers with a truck and trailer. Beyond that he is on his own. I’m getting too old and soft for moving.

Made me to remember my father. We had purchased a house about five miles from our apartment and I had moved all but the heavy stuff. My father showed up unannounced. He was on his way to Oregon for two weeks of fishing. He decided to help.

“Where is your furniture dolly”, he asked?

“What’s that”, was my reply?

Nothing was said as we drove to a rental place and got a dolly but the unspoken thoughts came loud and clear. Something along these lines.


The next time we moved I bought both a hand truck and a furniture dolly, both of which I still own.


As a side note, here is hoping 2018 is an epic year for you and yours.

8 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I wish the middle unit success in starting the new year on his own. I also hope you enjoy the breathing room. And I hope your new year bring you better health and a winning lottery ticket.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I'll drink to that!

LL said...

People help you move. Friends help you move dead bodies...

That being said, I hear you WSF. There comes a point when the sure knowledge of a sprain or a jammed finger or a broken toe translates into a check to a proxy to do what you did.

Happy 2018!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Hard for me not to be there to "supervise". In fact, hard for me to step back with anything involving my sons.

Ami said...

I would rather go through labor than move.
And we DO own a couple hand trucks. One is large enough for furniture. The other one is collapsible and fits in the trunk of my Yaris. I use the hell out of it.

If you want my opinion... (you didn't actually ask for it...) :)
Good to recognize your limitations and not hurt yourself.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

We have collapsible ones in our Yaris. Blasted thing is about 2" shorter in the handle than I need.

drjim said...

When I moved in with my wife-to-be, I bought one of those "BigFoot" hand trucks with the BIG balloon tires from Harbor Freight. One of the best $40 things I ever bought.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The hand truck has seen a lot of use. Middle son used it to deliver telephone books off and on for several years. Think I got my moneys worth. Can't remember what I paid for it in 1972.