Sunday, December 3, 2017

Father's Birthday

Today would be my father's 96th birthday. Sadly he passed at age 64. Probable cause? Undiagnosed and untreated sleep apnea. 

Like anyone who had a great parent, I miss him. What saddens me most is my sons didn't get to grow up with him.

A WWII vet, he trained in chemical warfare but  ended up in the Army Air Corp in India. He was one of the troops kicking out supplies from C-47 and C-46 doing aerial supply, among other duties. Going there and coming back he crossed the Equator in the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic oceans. This seemed to be an
 irritant to his brothers-in-law who were Navy, not that he was shy about reminding them.

He always was busting his ass supporting his family.
Stubborn, he would always get this piece of junk gasoline powered Cat running, even if it took all day.
A superb horseman, he was the best rider I've seen. Second place goes to my sister. Me? Like a sack of potatoes tied to the saddle horn.  

As a hunter he didn't miss. At the rifle range killing paper I could easily best him. Going after game? Never beat him. I shot trees. He shot between the trees. 300 yards, open sights, standing on a horses rump in belly deep snow? One fucking shot, just behind the front shoulder. Down goes a two point bull elk. 

R.I.P Dad.

9 comments:

LL said...

I wish that my father was here too. Sweet memories, but bittersweet in their absence.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Bittersweet indeed.

Coffeypot said...

He sounds like the kinda man I'd like to sit down and have a few cups of coffee with and shoot the shit.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

One of his favorite activities.

Anonymous said...

You would have had to bring your own coffee. He didn't really like to share. lol And drank a lot of it.

Sisty

Old NFO said...

A great tribute!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you.

Momma Fargo said...

Very nice tribute and happy birthday to him in heaven! Sleep apnea is a scary thing. Lots of hugs to you!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you.