Thursday, November 2, 2017

Angel

Memories of Tempos and Deutschland mechanics were brought to mind by Old AFSarge.


Had a customer one day from Dutch Harbor, Alaska who had exactly $10,000 cash to spend on a new 4x4 vehicle. Angel was 4’ something built like a barrel with two short legs and a baritone voice. Took me a minute to figure out she was a female.

As with any customer I treated her with respect and courtesy. She had earned the $10,000 working the summer season on a fish processing boat. The boat was in Seattle and would take her vehicle back to Dutch Harbor.

The problem was no 4x4 truck, new, was near her price point. She wouldn’t consider used. We were the fifth dealership she had visited. At the time I was on loan to the Mitsubishi/RV Store but had access to all our lines What she bought was an all wheel drive Tempo with the Zibart aftermarket rust proofing package. As I recall the final price was just under $10,000.

I loved selling Tempos. The buyers were mainly practical people who simply wanted uncomplicated transportation. The world’s best no brainer car. Priced right, great lease programs, etc. Ford had a ‘Value added discount’ just over $600 that included A/C. Used that to sell Tempos to Chinese.

“Need BIG discount!”

“Yes sir, see we have already put a HUGE discount right in the window. Do you like this color?”

Perhaps the best part, for me, was Tempos were reliable and trouble free (except the damn two door model). Very few complaints and warranty claims. While rarely a big gross, the transactions were fast, got me back on the floor, and padded my numbers for the month. At that time eighteen plus sales put your washout check in the six figure range.

Alles ist in Ordnung, ja?


Stationed in Germany, I became the 10th or so owner of a Ford Angelia (and a set of PX tools). One day in Koblenz an oil leak developed. This was pre spin on oil filters days and the gasket was shot.

 Walked to a nearby Ford dealership and presented the mangled filter to the parts counter man. He promptly found an exact replacement. Then I fucked up. He asked me what kind of car I had and I told him an Angelia.

He snatched the filter away and proceeded,

"Das ist für einen deutschen Ford. Nicht für eine englische Ford"

The son of a bitch wouldn’t sell it to me. My buddy pulled me out of the place before I inflicted grievous body harm (not out of kindness – I was his ride back to Hanau) and we went to a nearby beer emporium to consider options.

At the time your beer was placed on a thick cardboard coaster. They would mark each round on the coaster and then collect when you left.

Looking at that nice thick coaster, I channeled my inner farm boy, got another coaster, and cut out a gasket. Worked perfectly.

My buddy physically restrained me from going back to the Ford place and shoving the remains of the coaster down the parts man throat while saying,

"Ja, Arschloch. Dies ist ein amerikanischer Soldat-Dichtung. Deshalb haben wir den Krieg gewonnen. Wir halten nicht unsere Esel unseren Köpfen."

 Not that I was that fluent in German.

The Anglica was replaced by, if memory serves on the manufactured year, a 1956 Plymouth. It was tri-colored combining the colors of these two pictures.

The soldier’s cars of that time represented the epitome of ingenuity to repair and keep running. When someone made E-4, he bought a car. When he rotated, he sold it. Prices were from $50 to $200. They did require a safety inspection from the Provost garage. PX gas was only 50 octane so tuning became an issue. No matter how bizarre they looked, they were a step up from a fahrrad.

4 comments:

LL said...

The four wheeled tractors were the Muskovitch autos. The DDR exported a few and they were cheap (in all respects).

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Good enough, comrade.

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah, deployment cars... $50 and you hoped to hell you could keep them running!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

On the plus side, keeping them running kept you out of the bars. Ate up time and money.