Friday, September 22, 2017

Damn, and Double Damn

Wildfire swept over the old family homestead today.

 http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/winter-valley-fire-near-elk-springs-reaches-5200-acres-burning-on-cross-mountain-in-western-moffat-county/

The cemetery area was spared. The housing area wasn't. The above picture was a dugout cabin where my grandfather and great uncle spent a winter while they built houses for their families still in the Denver area. Later, my uncles slept there.
One house had long since collapsed but the other had been recently dismantled and the  posts and beams salvaged, stacked, and preserved. All gone now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6bCBkHShH4&t=10s

My grandparents and great grandfather. My grandfather died when my father was sixteen. My grandmother died when I was four and my great grandfather about the same time.

Tough people who lived through tough times. The homestead was a great place to show succeeding generations our roots.  The land remains.


Many thanks to my cousin and her husband for these pictures. 

11 comments:

Ami said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry.

LL said...

Maybe build a new (fire-resistant) cabin on the land and hang photos of the originals?

Sorry for the loss. Glad nobody was hurt and that the graveyard was spared.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Four funerals there this year and now this.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

There were plans to move the cabin timbers to the cemetery and build benches, etc.

Good idea on the photos. Gather a collection and encase them in acrylic and put them beside the sign. I'll mention it to the kin.

Anonymous said...

The most important thing is that the neighbors did not lose their buildings or their cattle herd. It came very close to them.
Sisty

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Agree. The new owners have been "good neighbors".

Coffeypot said...

The good thing is the burned off area will grow back greener and be just as pretty to look at. Sad that you lost the cabins and lumber. +1 on LL's idea.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

The 'indigenous folks' used to set fires so the grasses the bison preferred could grow. Works with a wet winter but takes several years in dry years.

I've floated the photo idea to the extended mailing list. Waiting to hear back.

Old NFO said...

Dang, sorry to hear that, but at least no one was hurt!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

There is that and the working property to the West was spared along with the relay towers.

drjim said...

My condolences on the loss.