Thursday, January 12, 2017

Memory Lane


An old co-conspirator from the used car rackets called with sad news. Another old friend from those days died. Damn, we are getting old!

Then the old war stories began which led to some YouTube classics.


You may die, but die with the deposit in your hand. Meanwhile, another one on the crew is delivering customer satisfaction.


Have no shame.


Don’t be this wussy.


“So, you like the car, don’t you? If the terms are right, you want to drive it home today, don’t you?”.


It is a business that will test you. No day is the same as another. When you think you have seen it all, you haven’t.  It will wear you out and I am content to be retired from it. 

5 comments:

LL said...

I have a brother-in-law who was big in the new car game. One of my daughters married into a family that is big in the resale/secondary market. It's a very tough job.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Common story. Construction collapsed and I started selling cars because I couldn't find anything else with an earning potential. Spent the better part of three decades doing it. Long hours, high stress. As the legend Jackie Cooper said, "Winners do what losers won't".

Coffeypot said...

I've had friends who were in the new and used car fields and they loved it. I couldn't do it. I'd be too tempered to tell some what I think of them and their schemes to outwit me and the dealer. I don't do pc at all. But you seemed to have thrived off it. Good for you.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

I always approached it as a job of work, nothing personal. I'm not a people person. My approach was to let the people be whatever they wanted and be a mirror that let them see themselves as important and in control. All I wanted was to see taillights disappear with a happy tag in the back window.
Now protecting my earnings from thieving salesman and managers? There was a reason I was known as, "Frank the Tank".

CenTexTim said...

One of my all-time favorite movies is the old Kurt Russel flick Used Cars. I don't think it provides a realistic view of the used car biz, but IO get a kick out of it.