Friday, February 12, 2016

Another Grumpy Old Man Rant

Being unable or unwilling to do tasks I once did, I’ve turned to Craigslist. Damn frustrating.

First, the bad spelling and grammar. If the poster isn’t bright enough to post something coherent and spelled properly I am loath to hire them.

This may reflect the quality of our educational system and probably does. Still, there are spell check programs or girlfriends.

Second, the lack of follow up. “Let me get back to you with a quote”. Never hear from them.

Third, the over promise, under perform issue. Seeking a part payment (or full) for work not completed.


In the end, it is what it is, and I deal with it. Still, it pisses me off that people take such little pride in what they do. Do they ever think through why the world is so hard?

7 comments:

Coffeypot said...

I have had a couple or three big jobs done around the abode, and they did require a down payment with full payment upon completion. With those jobs there were some really good and really bad contractors. From the really good one's I got references for future work. The bad ones, I shot and buried them on the back half of the property. Well, I wanted too, anyway. I have found it better to use references from people I know, mostly at the Waffle House, and it has worked out for me. I tired Craig's list once and was not impressed, either.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Usually what I need is just physical work. Occasionally I've tried to find a mechanic.

CenTexTim said...

Don't know about CL, but I've had good luck with day laborers. You know, the ones hanging out at certain street corners looking for work. The only drawback is you have to speak Spanish. But for the most part they'll give you an honest day's work for an honest day's pay.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

No habla. My needs are fairly simple, mainly minor auto work and occasionally moving boxes and furniture.

Old NFO said...

They don't care WSF... It's all about them 'scamming' us old fools, and getting their money. Except they don't necessarily realize we don't play those 'reindeer' games...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Exactly.

Momma Fargo said...

I have had the same luck. +1 Old NFO