Thursday, May 8, 2014

UP 4014 plus 700


Drove up to Wyoming today to see the UP 4014 “Big Boy” pass by on the way to Cheyenne. We had planned to be at a certain spot, but muddy roads and closed gates dictated a different location.

41◦    4’   55.17”  N
105•  29’   6.37”  W

But first we needed to get there. Ah, springtime in the Rockies. I think I may treat myself to a new windshield before Officer Friendly gives me written instructions, ya think?

The Flip camera was started and left alone while I got closer to the tracks with a camera. Sorry about the quality of the video. Not sure if all the snow is real snow or static, but it was snowing. h/t to Bloviating Zeppelin for the tip on the Flip Camera). However, I don't seem to be able to upload the %##%^& video.







The UP didn’t shut down for any one train. Here is a mixed freight grinding up Sherman Hill. Those locomotives are running flat out. Again, technical/operator problem.



Going home we saw more proof that a SUV on a wet road still needs a somewhat skilled driver.

This marks the 700th blog posting on WSF. I can’t believe I still find things to write about.

When I figure out the video issue, I’ll post them.


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, that is one BIG engine! Saw it static in Pomona, but I didn't realize the size comparison to a 'regular' diesel... And I'd be buying a windshield... Just sayin... :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

With only 70,000 miles in service, I hate the idea of replacing the windshield until I've got my money's worth.