Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Vindicated, Dr. Wakefield


Warning! This is not a warm and fuzzy blog entry.

Many years ago, a British researcher, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, suggested a link between multiple inoculations given very young children and autism and intestinal disorders. For his efforts, he was attacked by the full weight of the British medical establishment and British press, soon joined and sustained by the USA establishments. Turns out he was right.

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/2013/06/21/new-published-study-verifies-andrew-wakefields-research-on-autism-again-mmr-vaccine-causes-autism/

I have a deep personal interest in this as two of my children are in the population he discussed. One is a classic example of the inoculation then development pattern. I happen to know one of Dr. Wakefield's brothers, and know some of what inspired the man to launch his research.

When I've broached the subject, many health care professionals have told me, in polite, or not polite terms, I'm full of shit. That "scaring" parents into refusing to have their children inoculated leads to all kinds of health problems. Bad, bad, WSF. Ignorant opinionated WSF. So, excuse me, if I don't feel somewhat vindicated.

Inoculations in themselves are not the problem. Sloppy science and poor manufacturing practices are the problem. Money, profits, research grants to those who deliver "preferred" results are some of the problems. Giving multiple inoculations at the same time is the problem. A three year old's immune system may  not be strong enough to handle mumps, measles, and rubella all at the same time. Single dose inoculations are, or were, available. Just not too convenient for the health care practitioners, and vaccine suppliers.

Look to our, and others,  military. Adverse reactions to anthrax inoculations. Gulf war syndrome. Safe? Maybe, maybe not. What happens when you give someone six to eight inoculations at once?

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/anthrax_vaccine_side_effects.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/6063.php

To all you vets, think back to that day your unit was lined up, usually basic training, and you ended up with two sore arms. Why do you think medics/corpsmen were standing by? Remember someone being hauled away who never came back?

One other little tidbit, for the baby boomer generation. How many polio vaccine "pioneers" do you know with cancer?

So excuse me, but no flu shots, no shingle shots, for me. I'll keep my ignorance, thank you very much.

4 comments:

Ami said...

I caught Norovirus this year (apparently).
My dad told me that it was proof I should have gotten a flu shot.

Three children in a family I once knew had all lost their hair. Permanently. After vaccination.

One child was NOT to be vaccinated after the adverse reactions of the other two. But the hospital did it anyway. Then they said, "Oops."


I stopped vaccinating my kids pretty young. Wish I'd known more before I had them vaccinated at all.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

It is a hard choice for parents. Too much incomplete information to totally trust the very people you want to trust.

Old NFO said...

Hard choices... no question...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

It has been a decades long fight, and I am weary. On the other hand, it has shaped my life in ways I never contemplated. Life, I guess.