Thursday, August 1, 2013

Nanny State, Medical Division


Another bitch this old grouch has is the way our nanny state funnels business to medical practitioners. "Do you have a current prescription," is the lead up to, "We can't........ without a current prescription," usually with a barely disguised smirk.

I need to replace the lenses in my glasses. The frames are fine, but the lenses are scratched. My prescription hasn't changed in thirty years. For many years I used a wholesale lab, man and wife operation, that furnished glasses to the opticians. As long as my money was good, they didn't care. I don't know if they were libertarian minded, or just Jewish, it worked for me! They retired, and closed down their business. Drat!

I had a physical a year ago. The people were insistent I have a $2800 sleep study. "But your insurance will pay for most of it," is the first thing out of their mouths. Yeah, like that is "free" money. Copay and deductibles? Deer in the headlights look.

Diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 1993, I've slept with a CPAP every since. If I want to upgrade my CPAP, or buy a new one, I hear the "prescription" song again. I've even heard it while trying to buy a new mask or supply tube.

So, the grey market. Hello Craigslist. 

Why, when we see medical people, are we suddenly subject to myriad rules and regulations? It has taken over a year for the Physicians Assistant I see to understand I will not do anything, or take anything, without a clear understanding of the reasons thereof.

But WSF, You don't understand. We.............. Your are right, I don't understand, don't care, and will not participate.

Just because I'm one tiny one out of a population of 310,000,000 or so doesnt't mean I can't be an Army of one. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Idaho! I'm bored to death at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can't wait to take a look
when I get home. I'm amazed at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even
using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, very good blog!