Monday, May 27, 2013

What Is Memorial Day?



Memorial Day means something more to me than camping and barbeques. It is a day I reflect on my heritage and  why I can live the life I have.

I have fifty eight first cousins. Many have passed. Many have married into other families, have had children of their own, and now grandchildren. The number of Veterans is large; more than I know. More than a few have been wounded, or died, in the service of their country.

Name a war, Revolution, Civil, Spanish American, Indian, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan, and our linage has been there. Many more, including myself, served between these conflicts. None of us makes a big deal about our service; it is part of who we are. We damn well remember, however, and always honor flag and country.

I always honor our woman folk, who kept the homes going, worried and prayed for their men folk (and now daughters and nieces) who were away in harms way. When the men came home, they were there to deal with the mental and physical problems the men brought home. Strong women!

What, and who, I am wouldn’t exist without them and what they accomplished. Old, but very true cliché; All gave some, some gave all.

8 comments:

Scotty said...

AH....strong women!! Amen to that WF. My wife has had to tolerate my idiosyncrasies I brought back with me for 43 years.....I am always amazed that she did it...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

You are a most fortunate man.

Ami said...

Thank you for your service. I have many relatives who are now gone who have served. My brother Jim is still in uniform. He re-upped in 2001 right after the attacks.

It fills me with pride and awe that there are people who step forward and volunteer to protect us all, knowing that they might have to give everything... and going anyway.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Not too many of us made it a career. My youngest may. Civilian job market being what it is, and with a wife and five kids, he has some tough choices in another two years.

Old NFO said...

Well said Sir, WELL SAID! And concur 100%!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother!!!

Sisty

Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother!!!


Sisty