Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Smart Ass Gets Slapped

A friend wants another car lot story. Prefers one that puts me down. Oh well, I aim to please.

Part of my selling technique was to use humor to keeps the atmosphere relaxed. The customers are in a stressful situation; take the curse off.

Collecting the down payment check was one such stress point. Major commitment point. After naming the amount, and their bringing out their checkbook, I would usually say, "Please make that out to 'Frank's Good Times, Inc'." Usually got a laugh, or a rude comment or two. Relieved the stress.

One day the customer was a nice lady that had driven about two hours to come to our lot. I did my usual, and she made the check payable to Frank's Good times Inc. After seeing the payee, I told her I was, "Just joking". Her reply? "That is my last check".  Oh shit. I sat there thinking about how to handle this. Drive two hours to her house to get a check?

"Are you starting to sweat," She asked?

"Ah, yes I am."

"Good, because you have been making me sweat for the past hour," She said, as she brought out another checkbook.

Got me good, she did.

3 comments:

Scotty said...

Ya just can't beat that prickly feeling as the sweat beads on one's forehead!!

I would loved to have been a fly on the wall for this one!

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah... sometimes you're the bug, sometimes the windshield... ;-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Scotty - Yep.
NFO - Too many times the bug!