Friday, September 28, 2012

SHTF Warning



Today, had a glimpse of what I might face in a home town SHTF scenario
.
Main East-west four lane street was blocked for two hours for the high school home coming parade.  Traffic was diverted to residential side streets. Chaos. Drivers blowing through four way stops, ignoring pedestrians in marked cross walks, driving past “Road Closed” signs and barriers, etc. Then, to add to the misery,  the Union Pacific had two trains passing which takes about twenty minutes. All this without a fear factor. My abode is right in the middle of this clusterfuck.

I’ve always had an escape plan but need to review it. Looking now at dropping the neighbors fence to access the alley which leads to side streets. Forcing my way onto the street by the house will only put me in gridlock.

Unlike most people, I don’t plan  to “head for the hills”. Too few roads and only three year around passes over the Rockies.  Instead, I will head East towards the Great Plains. First obstacle, an Interstate Highway with four bridges. Past that, numerous all weather dirt county roads and farm land with lanes give lots of escape routes.

There are scores of windmill supplied stock watering tanks. Probably potable water but I have my purification equipment.  Lots of folds in the land to park and conceal a vehicle and pitch a tent if need be. Go to ground for a few days and let the panic wash by. At least, that is the current plan.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, reality checks ARE eye opening... And 4WD is a GOOD option...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Think an AK47 in 12 gauge might also be an options? (Not a serious question)