Monday, July 16, 2012

Diesel Madness = Siberian Car Sales

Yet another car lot story.

Dzevat was a very successful Siberian fisherman. DON’T call him a Russian! He owned, or was the captain of, a 525’ fish processing vessel. The details were somewhat murky and he didn’t want to discuss it. What he did have was fistfuls of US green money. His interest was any small diesel powered truck or car and larger European sedans. He had wandered into our lot and we developed a business relationship. Big man! Not often do I deal with men much larger than myself.

These diesel powered vehicles were more common in the Pacific Northwest than elsewhere. A  weekly ad in the statewide shopper (pre internet days) offering quick cash, if the price was right, allowed me to buy three or four a month to put in storage.

Two to three times a year, Dzevat would put into port in Puget Sound. He would buy one top of the line SUV, usually an Isuzu Trooper, and all the used diesels. Tough bargainer on the new vehicle but not on the used. If he knew I paid an average of $300 per and sold to him at an average of $1,200 per, he might have bargained harder. What the hell was I going to do with them if he didn’t buy?

The local shagger company would deliver them pier side and his crew would crane load them on the deck. Off they would sail to Vladivostok.

One day I got a call from him, who knows where he was calling from, telling me he was out of the car business. Nice of him to call as I had only bought two used diesels. One was a Peugeot that was featured in a previous blog.

One wonders how many of those old diesels are still operating In Siberia?

We never discussed politics, USSR - USA relations, or did any socializing. I wondered at the time if he got caught up in some political situation in Siberia. I never learned more but appreciated the opportunity to expand my horizons (and make a buck).

Commercial fishermen (and women). The only group I know that are more bat shit crazy than car salesmen.

Sorry for the jumble. Blogger and I don't get along. My bad, hate to read instructions.







2 comments:

Old NFO said...

LOL, yep, they are bug nuts...

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Loved them as customers. Not so much in a Longshoreman's bar.