Saturday, May 12, 2012

Old Cowboys




Something different from the usual political rants. A part of the small Western town way of life that is still present in small pockets.

Old cowboy, living out his years, was a resident of our town. Lived in a room at a railroad hotel, conveniently located above a bar,  and across the street from an inexpensive restaurant. Most bowlegged man I ever saw. Nice man, always friendly, with Old West manners.

Railroad hotels were cheap places to sleep. Small room, single bed, wash basin in the room, and a shared bath down the hall. Nearly every town had one even if they didn’t have a railroad.

Our town had an annual Stockman’s Ball, better known as the Stockman’s Brawl, and the old cowboy was always  present. For all his bowlegs, he could really dance. He was always “scrubbed up” and well dressed by cowboy standards. Very few ladies, of any age or marital status, declined his request to dance.

As usual, towards the end of the evening, a brawl broke out in the middle of the dance floor. Maybe a dozen or so combatants. He was in the middle of it. He was trying to crawl away but every time he got to the edge, someone would grab him and toss him back into the brawl.  My mother, who had a hold of the back of my belt, told me to go pull him out. I succeeded, but then had to defend myself until the deputies broke up the uproar.

Later, the old cowboy thanked me. Of course, my mother raised holy hell with me. Just a routine occurrence at that time and place.

Going out tonight with my sister and her man to watch the professional bull riders. Her S.O. rode bulls well into his fifties and has the beat up body to prove it. Hope there is a fight. Can’t have a good rodeo without a fight. It won’t be me; too damn old and slow healing for that.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah... Had one of those on my uncle's racnh... He was "old" probably early 60's and he handled the horses and tack, but he could STILL ride anything with hair; and could still kick ass when he had the chance!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ NFO. Tom T Hall had a song about them. Fun night at the bull riding. Final round won by the bulls. Only one qualified 8 second ride. Good riders; ranker bulls.

FDIL said...

Seeing as how there were no updates about you being sore or broken I am assuming your beautiful sister took the duct tape with her to keep your mouth out of trouble. ;-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

@ FDIL. I'm shocked! Why would you think that would be necessary?