Saturday, December 31, 2011

Small, Small Town USA





Some of what is best about this country is found in small towns. Seems a sense of community is lost as population density increases. Of course, privacy increases with population; hard to have a totally private life in a small town.

The internet now gives these small town a bigger voice. Economics have killed off many a small town newspaper. In place, we have blogs. I would direct your attention to a small town blog HERE.

http://www.maybellwomensclub.com

Nothing unique, just a sample of small town life. (Someday I will learn how to do hyperlinks.)

This little town looms large in my paternal family history. Various forefathers have roamed that part of the country since just after the Civil War (excuse me, The War of Northern Aggression) as both solid citizens and down and dirty outlaws. Maybe both at the same time.

The Ladies Club is today, and has always been, a potent force in the town and surrounding areas. It takes a fool hardy man to tell a Moffat County woman what she is going to do. Personally, I would rather play chicken with a coal train.

2 comments:

Ami said...

I'm a small town girl stuck in a big city right now. Miss it.

But there is the whole everyone living in each other's back pockets thing that does NOT happen here and DOES happen in Butthump Oregon, where my parents still live.

Pens Of The abyss said...

I was just up that way last thursday. well golden gate canyon. area. Very nice up there