Saturday, February 13, 2010

Tilting Windmills?


Trying to understand this country we live in, I try to read both left and right slanted opinions and the comments that readers make. Such language! The worst comes from the left, especially when the subject is guns. Little of this advances understanding or finding a common ground. Seems we can’t disagree without being disagreeable. In the end, we spend most of our time talking with people who already agree with us.

Recently, a college classmate and I reconnected. She is somewhat to the left of Raoul Castro and “hates” guns. She also has a very negative opinion of firearms owners. As a project, I’ve decided to try to work towards a common ground with her. It matters not to me if I don’t succeed. It is, if you will, an intellectual exercise. The goal is for her to go shooting with me.

6 comments:

Greybeard said...

I think I'd rather do something productive, like mow the lawn.
Like you, my age is 60+. I no longer have time to waste on fools.
I envy you your spare time.
Good luck.

Greybeard said...

I like to learn from my elders. One I am learning to respect had a comment related to your quest to bring a change in behavior here.
You could learn from his wise words!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Good points. To understand where I am coming from, please review ABOUT ME, above to the right. ".....Rolling along life's highway....."

Old NFO said...

Good luck with that WSF... seriously...

Anonymous said...

I for one am waiting expectantly for this outcome. Since I know both parties, this should make for some interesting dialogue. Game On, Brother!!!!

Sisty

Anonymous said...

I have done what your talking about. After she shot for the first time she was not scared any more and liked it.