Friday, July 17, 2009

How to Lose a Sale

Piss off a deputy sheriff. He had me drive a manual transmission Dodge Diesel as his right arm ended in a hook. I knew he was a deputy but forgot on the test drive and did my usual slow roll through a stop sign. He yelled, "I can't believe you did that in front of a police officer!" "Sorry", I replied, "That was stupid".

He didn't buy the truck. I felt bad, not because I didn't make the sale, because he was a customer looking for a truck and I spoiled his visit by hurting his feelings. It wasn't a personal slight on my part; I am a traffic law scofflaw. Perhaps he was a wee bit too sensitive?

5 comments:

Jan said...

You could have used the defense that you were told that stop signs with white borders were optional. LOL

Old NFO said...

Oops... :-) Bright spot, he didn't give you ticket!

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Two things saved me. He was off duty so he didn't have his ticket book. I was out of his jurisdiction. I guess he could have come back while on duty. Anyway, a stupid way to lose a sale and hurt someone's feelings.

Old NFO said...

True, but OBVIOUSLY a GOOD lesson! :-)

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Ah, have had many, many lessons. Hence, the title of this blog. At least I've never had to ask someone what position his wife played for the Packers. Then again, I'm still in circulation so there is still time!