Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Reactionary

Given what this day is and my blog title are you surprised?
Reactionary is a word I didn't believe would ever describe me. Last week I rejoined both the American Legion and the NRA after a 30 year lapse in reaction to the Obama administrations actions. First, the idea of veterans forced to use private insurance for service connected disabilities. How pissed am I at these arrogant assholes who have never once put their personal ass on the line for anything? Enough to start writing checks. Second, "common sense" gun laws. I don't see the words "common sense" in the constitution. And who's "common sense"? Sarah Brady? What I can do is support those fighting for things I believe in.
This last election I didn't give dime one to the Democrat Party for the first time in years. I did contribute to the campains of candidates I felt shared many of my values. I voted for a Republican for President for the first time since Gerald Ford.
My youngest is going on active duty this month. I've always supported the troops and now have a selfish interest in doing so. I'm very proud of him and damned scared at the same time.
This posting is more of a rant than anything else but, hey, it is my blog!

2 comments:

Pens Of The abyss said...

What is the AMERICAN LEGION? When does your son ship out?

The last year that I was in school every on was on the verge of graduating and it pretty much seemed as if all my friends and every body knew every thing. I would sit and listen to them ramble on about politics, going over this and that. They all had it figured out and after they gradated high school they were going to go out there and change the world. But it never happened at least not yet. After a few years all of them that I still keep up with got regular jobs and feel off the face of the earth. I do not have a problem with “mediocrity”
I never have really wanted to have a lot of money. But I agree with you when you say that what you “Can Do” Is “do what you believe in. So I leave you with my last question. What is important to you and how do you fight for it after so many years playing the game of life? What keeps you going? Im eager to hear your answers.

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Son ships out Mid April. The American Legion is a veteran's organization. I'm too stubborn to quit and will die on my feet before I live on my knees.